Almost a month after a fire destroyed parts of its engine, the MV Cabo Star cargo ferry will resume sailings to Tobago from 2 p.m today.
Chief executive officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Inter-Island Transportation Company Vilma Lewis-Cockburn informed the Express last night that the vessel was inspected and certified safe to operate.
She said as such, the vessel is expected to sail at 2 p.m. today, Tuesday September 19th
“The return sailing will depart Scarborough at 11 p.m. on said night,” she stated.
The Port Authority of Trinidad and Tobago announced yesterday afternoon that all repairs to the MV Cabo Star cargo vessel had been completed.
It said only after marine classification surveyors inspect and certify the vessel safe for operation, it can return to servicing the inter-island seabridge.
PATT chairman retired colonel Lyle Alexander told the Express that surveyors of the Classification Society, RINA, arrived in Trinidad from Miami earlier yesterday to conduct the inspection.
Around 11.23 p.m. on August 23, a fire broke out in the Cabo Star’s engine room as it left Scarborough, Tobago.
While no injuries were reported, the fire damaged one of the vessel’s auxiliary engines and destroyed electrical cables.
The cable repairs began on September 8 and, according to the PATT, was expected to be finished in ten days.
The Cabo Star’s absence led to severe challenges for Tobago business owners, who reported shortages of food supplies and construction material at their warehouses.
In a media release yesterday the PATT again apologised for the inconvenience caused.